Saturday, January 21, 2017

Hear Me Roar

The women's march was today. I wasn't there in body, but I was there in spirit. I know it will help a lot of people ease through this transition, though I'm pretty sure it won't make that much of a difference to the people in charge. They really don't care about anyone outside of their own circles and have chosen different groups to pacify. Those other groups, whether they will admit it or not, hate women. They certainly hate women with freedom.

I know it's easy for me to come to grips with this. I'm at less risk than most people. I'm white and past the point of reproduction. I mostly just want to have enough to survive on and be left to myself. The sad thing is, even those meager desires could be taken away.

Other people have more at risk. Their power to plan their reproductive future. Their power to put their kids in safe, free schools. Some people's livelihood is on the line. When the government starts restricting Medicaid and medicare, jobs in home nursing services, mental health services, and retirement homes begin to disappear. Those jobs are more often held by women. When schools lose funding, teachers and teachers' aids lose jobs. Again, these jobs are often held by women. As paychecks shrink, domestic services, such as house cleaners or nannies, are often let go.

People are angry and scared. They have reason to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment