Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Craft Part Two

As I am sure you could tell from the post yesterday, I was very passionate and more than a little frustrated about the state of the world. If you read the blog often, you know that isn't where I want to keep my mind. It isn't healthy. I'm not saying passion is bad, but when there isn't a lot you can do about it, it can slide into a dark place. That's the way it tends to be for me, at any rate.

Being able to work with yarn is such a magical part of my life. I can construct things to keep me warm, make things to give me comfort, and create things to alter my state of mind. Yesterday, I worked on trying to cheer myself up. I took some of my leftover pink yarn and made a cat.

The cat is cute. It's rather cartoonish looking, with a smirky little expression and a knowing look. It not only calmed me down but it serves a purpose now. It's to be our Valentine's Day decoration. I thought about sending it to my aunt, but once it was finished, I knew it needed to stay with me. I needed the reminder of how I felt about everything when I made it and how much it cheered me up. All day long when I've looked at it, it's made me happy and I needed that.

I think we all need more crafting in our lives. We all need to be making more art with our bodies. We need to stop believing that is something we only do when things are calm or when life is easy. We need to stop believing that art should only be made by those who have the talent or the training. Talent is nice, but training is better and you can always train yourself with books and the internet. Make things. Let them transform your life. What we craft alters us as much as we alter it.

No comments:

Post a Comment