Thursday, January 6, 2011

The History of Blackhaired Barbie! Or at least, an explanation of the name.

Hi there. Welcome to my blog.

I'm Blackhaired Barbie.  I do not LOOK like a Barbie with black hair. In fact, a friend gave me the nickname as kind of a twisted point of dark humor. However, there is a story behind it.

When I was a little girl, back during a time period known as The 7T's, I played with Barbies. The thing is, I have dark hair and the Barbies were always blond.  Now, I know they had dark haired barbie dolls, but they didn't make them as frequently or maybe no one bought them for me or whatever. I had a bunch of ones with light flaxen tresses.

Or I did.

As a plucky little child, I decided I didn't WANT blondes. I wanted dolls with hair like mine. So I started altering their hair color....with pretty much anything I could find. Old mascara, bits of dyes, sometimes ink I pulled out of this or that. One time, I did this with black shoe polish.

Of course, none of this went on clean. Barbie tended to look rather jacked up, with sticky, matted locks of black streaks. Then again, as we were coming into the later 7T's and the early 8D's, that punk thing was going on, so the fact that Barbie looked slovenly and had sticky up hair seemed rather badass to me. I decided I liked this punk edge to them and started giving them piercings with pins and augmenting their clothes. I would draw ripped up fishnet stockings on their legs. They looked great!

Then Gramma found my dolls, decided I'd destroyed them for some ungrateful reason, and tossed them in the trash.

But here's the point, and kind of the point of this blog:

I've never fit in or even wanted the normal stuff out there. Most often, it doesn't appeal to me or just flat out won't work. So I've had to adapt. Often my adaptation is weird. But just as often, it is something that works very well for me, ends up having very deep meaning for me, and just might be something that could help others too.

This blog will be about my continual adaptation to the challenges around me.  The strange, sometimes sad, and often humorous ways in which I cope with life. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment