Thursday, January 27, 2011

Moving Mountains

Today, an amazing thing happened. I didn't get to be a part of it, even though I'd planned to.  However, by the time I got back into town, the whole thing was over, even though they'd not anticipated it would be.

My sister-in-law and several of her friends have another friend who needs a bone marrow transplant. I'm not sure on all the details of who did what, but I know one of her friends (and mine) who is a nurse, helped to organize a marrow registry and blood drive in our home town. For weeks now, they've been pushing this on Facebook, getting the word out about where their drive was going to be and how people could help.  They put a lot of effort into this.

This is a direct quote from my SIL:

"
What a great turn out at the bone marrow drive! They ran out of packets becuase so many people came for the cheek swab. They also ran out of supplies to donate blood. This is a good thing! I think they said they never get this many donations. They will be doing another drive next month for all those that wanted to come but didn't get to."
It wasn't just successful. It was phenomenal. So many people came out. So many people helped. And they will even get to do it again.

When I read this, I cried a little.  Sometimes when you just read people's funny posts on Facebook and joke around with them, you forget how deeply passionate and driven they can be.

I've also been thinking about their friend who needs this, how he must feel seeing all this love and dedication given to him. That's beautiful. That is community. It's love.

This was a good day.

By the way, for more information on bone marrow donation, look here.

No comments:

Post a Comment