Friday, February 4, 2011

The reason the zombies aren't interested

No good deed goes without headaches. Sometimes those headaches lead to brain explosion.

A while back a friend asked me to set up a Facebook account for her. I did....only to find it already existed.  She shares email with her husband and he'd set the account up to....I dunno, stalk someone or something.  Anyway, that was creepy so instead, I linked her Facebook to an old email address of mine. I'd not used it in years.

Anyway, after I did this, she decided not to play with Facebook and abandoned it for over a year. Last night, she IMs me.

Friend: So....what is my Facebook password?

Me: ...............um.................

I knew if she was ever going to get on, it would have to be my doing and not hers. She hates computers and their various protocols, so I logged out of my account and started trying to get into the one I set up for her. It had been over a year.  I had some basic guesses, so I tried them. Nothing.  I tried some more. Nothing.  At this point, I was afraid FB was aiming lasers at me, so I decided to hit the I forgot my password button.

This takes me to a little form for me to fill out, stating my email addy or user name or some other stuff that I forget as I think my brain caught on fire after that.  Once I did this part, I had to fill out one of the little boxes that makes sure you're not a robot.  As I've stated before, my status as a robot is sometimes questionable, but in this instance, I passed.

I send it to the linked email without thinking and go to open that.....only to find out that said abandoned email account now resents passwords every 70 days.

So for the second time, I start the whole find the password process over again. Evil little boxes, confirmations, all that jazz. FINALLY, I get that password reset so that I can get the other password reset.  I finally do all of this, taking time to make notes about it in Word so that I won't lose the blasted things again.  I send the whole mess of email addy, passwords and whatnot to my friend and wait.

Friend: Um....it's not working.

Me: *brain explodes*

Friend: Oh wait. Yeah, there it goes. I'm in.

I only read this IM much later, after I'd finally picked up all the little bits and pieces of my brain from the floor.  As I was pushing them back through my nose (hey, it worked for the Egyptians to pull brains out, I might as well do the opposite), I told her she could have the old email account and explained to her how she could do all of this stuff herself.

And I have faith she will do it alll on her own too. She will. She will. Or my brain will explode again.

No comments:

Post a Comment