Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Awkwardness . . . with visuals!

I am so sorry about not posting last night. There was a reason. And the reason is called SuddenLink. My internet was off for hours and hours.  Specifically, the hours I do my blog posts. So that didn't happen for me. Or for you, my faithful reader(s).
Anyway, to make up for the lack of post, I decided to include a random picture of one of my cats . . . not that he has anything to DO with my post, just because he's cute when he sleeps and this just happened to be what I did in my frustration last night when I didn't have internet. No net, so cat drawings. Yes, I am THE Cat Lady. "My cats never care if I'm boring." Actually, that is a total lie. They completely care when I'm boring.

Anyway, being boring is the topic of my post. Or rather, NOT being boring but being perceived as such.  My father randomly called today and we did the usual chitchat.  He asked me what I had been doing with my time. (Regional translation of this: "Whatcha been up to?")

I hate this question. It's such a damned LOADED question. On the surface, it seems to imply "I am very interested in you and your life and I would love to know how you have been filling your days and hours."  What it really means is, "Okay, lazy, how have you been wasting your life and your potential? Tell me now so I can judge you."

I'm sure some people would tell me I'm being totally paranoid about that being what he wants to know. But I'm not being paranoid. Trust me.

 Some people can get away with this by just a vague "oh you know, the usual." I can't. Or, maybe I could, but I always get defensive and actually try to answer this question. It gets really awkward. I did a chart!


Yeah, so anyway, this was my conversation. In the end, I come off feeling like my dad thinks I'm boring.  I have no idea if he really does and I probably shouldn't care. Our lives are very different and we don't have a lot in common or even really much to relate about. Despite that, and even if he really does think all the stuff I listed (which he probably really doesn't), he still calls me on occasion. I guess that's worth something. A blog post at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment