Saturday, July 7, 2012

Phobia Time with BHB

Yesterday, I got pulled over by the police and given a warning for my driving stylings. Actually, I'm not even going to try and defend myself on this. The man said he thought I was drunk. I wasn't.  However, I was dehydrated and I think it was affected my reaction time. As soon as I got away from him, I hopped out of the driver's seat and let my roommate handle the rest of the driving for the morning.

PSA of the post: Dehydration is a big problem this time of year. Keep your fluid levels up. It is of equal importance to keep  your electrolyte levels up.  Don't allow heat and sweating to screw up your system.

Bigger analysis of the post:  I find that I am terrified to drive now.  I know I will get over it, but the idea of getting back behind the wheel is freaking me out?  And why is this? Well, that has to do with my androphobia. My comfort level around males is always very very low. When you put that male into a position of authority and don't give me ample time to prepare to deal with him, I'm going to have reactions.

I want to stress this police officer did NOTHING to cause me to fear him. He was very nice, respectful, and polite to me. Over all, most people would probably rate it as a very simple and easy traffic experience. And intellectually, I know it was.

On the other hand, the freaked out part of my mind is telling me a very different story. All of the police will now be watching for me.  If at any moment I do anything wrong, just one little thing, they will stop me. All of them. Like all the big mean males in authority and I will get beaten by nightsticks because that is what they DO and I will never have freedom again.

So yeah, the idea of driving tomorrow is a little scary.  I will still do it . . . and I will make sure I am properly hydrated and that I will obey all traffic laws.  And I know when I get to the store, I will probably be shaking.  I'll be happy I'm there, but I'll probably want to cry.

In a few weeks, provided nothing else happens to trigger me, I'll be back to my normal self again. Or, you know, what PASSES as normal for me.  If you read the blog at all, you know that's a fairly strange collection of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment