Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A Blessing in Snow

I started on my cousin's baby blanket today. I should have started on it like two months ago, but that didn't happen and better late than never. This isn't a yarn I have ever worked with before, so some experiments were done to see what method would be used to make the blanket. The roomie and I discussed it for a bit. I finally decided on traditional sticks. It looks pretty good, though my gauge leaves something to be desired. Still, I managed to get it working quicker than expected. I think being around other knitters has made me a better knitter.

It snowed, sleeted, and iced today. This is so funny because it was so hot yesterday that I drove around with the window down and seriously considered washing/putting away the winter blankets. Glad I didn't do that. Maybe it's good that it's snowing though. I always feel better about starting a new knit project when it's cold as hell. It gives me more incentive.

Speaking of the snow, my SIL posted this on Facebook earlier:

Well the weather may have ruined my plans of going to Ft. Smith after work for a dr appt & running errands BUT it gave me time to have hot chocolate with my kids & snuggle up for a movie. I'll take that.
When I read this, I started thinking about how snow, despite it's inconveniences and potential dangers, can truly be a blessing in people's lives.  My SIL is a very busy woman. She works full time, raises the kids, and is having to handle aspects of her brother and father's businesses. There are days when she doesn't get home until seven or eight.

The snow day allowed her to slow down, stop doing all the errands, and just enjoy her life. Snow can shelter us from the chaos that normally happens because it covers up all that chaos, often just stopping it. Snow blankets everything in a uniform color, allowing us to just appreciate the beauty of line and form. Snow, when one does not have to be out slipping and falling in it, can be very calming, peaceful, and safe.

Of course, it would be nice if we didn't have to wait for snow days to let this happen. In life, we should have times where we just put a stop to all the running and doing and obligations. We should have time set aside that is just for us or for those we love, where nothing more happens beyond just something fun and comforting.

As frantic as I was yesterday, as frantic as I have been the last few weeks (months . . . years. . . ), I feel very good today. The snow fell in large billowy clusters, fat poofs of wetness. It was beautiful to watch. And while I know that life will resume its usual pace as soon as the snow has melted away, we've been given somewhat of a much needed break and I am so happy about that.

I was also happy when I saw the school closings, even though I no longer go to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment