Monday, February 11, 2013

More 3D Printing Geekery

A company in Canada is now printing cars using a 3D printer. The car has three wheels and is electric. They plan to make it an economy car, though the price is a bit difficult now, due to just the fact that 3D printing is such a new technology. They're sure it will come down soon, and have cars available for people who are strapped for cash.  The cars still have a metal chassis, but almost everything else is done via the printer.

The car thing doesn't make me as happy as the 3D printed house thing, but almost. I  hope to have both in the future. My printed out car and my printed out house. I love this idea so deeply much.

I also love the fact that 3D printers have recently printed out stem cells. The medical possibilities of this technology are huge. Imagine being able to print out a hip replacement designed specifically for you. Even if you don't want something like this inside you, so much medical equipment could be produced this way. Instead of keeping tons of extra supplies (which are always subject to being stolen or destroyed in disasters), things could be printed on an 'as needed' basis.

Though, over all, it is still the aspect of house 3D printing that appeals to me the most. You design your house to your needs, do the work you need done to the land and the rough plumbing, and then watch as the machine prints out your new home. The house would be finished 20 hours later. This is such an amazing thing.

Hee! I love this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment