Thursday, February 21, 2013

A New Project

I've added a healthy living app to my life. It's MyFitnessPal and it was suggested my my therapist. Actually, she suggested a different one, but I like this one more. You can access it both from the usual internet and from your mobile device. In my case, 'mobile device' is my Kindle.

You tell it how many calories you want to use in a day and it logs that for you, taking in what food you eat and how much you exercise. They have a blogging option. I won't blog there every day like I do here (okay, almost every day here) but I think I should do one at least once a week. This was my first one.

Hi there. My name is Lil and I'm new to MyFitnessPal. This is the first time I've ever used a fitness app and the first time I've taken an active role in documenting my food. It's scary to me, but I think it's also very necessary.

While I don't know how much I weighed for sure in January of 2012, we think it was close to 560 lbs. Years of trying to lose weight and then just giving up in despair, then not caring as an act of defiance, had gotten me to that weight. But last year, I started trying to take small steps to change things. Literally.

I started walking my driveway. I walked it once a day for a month, then twice a day. I added an extra lap to the first round after another month. Slowly I began to build strength and started doing other kinds of exercise. Physical activity isn't easy when you're my size, but it's not impossible.

In December of 2012, my doctor weighed me at 506 lbs. This is a significant change in my life, though most people don't really notice it that much. I feel so much better about things now and find I have a positive outlook on how things may change over the coming years.

In some ways, I've always functioned under the false assumption that things have to be perfect for me to lose weight. I have to eat perfectly and do perfect work outs. That isn't true. I have to eat less and move more. Over time, yes, more changes will have to be made. In the beginning though, the important thing is that you just start changing something.


Anyway, that's my new project. I feel rather positive about it. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment