Friday, June 21, 2013

Bad Friday

Today wasn't the best start to the weekend or to summer. In fact, were it not for a few highlights, today would have really been horrible.  With the good parts in there, I suppose today was mostly just disappointing, stressful, and hot.

The van has decided to make a new scary noise. It's the kind of noise that vibrates the whole vehicle and we thought it would be best to take it to the mechanics so they can fix it. Again. After they have already fixed it several hundred dollars' worth of fixing already this year. I really hope that it isn't expensive this time because I'm honestly not sure how it will be paid for. What money we had to handle car repairs has been used and not given ample time to rebuild. We try to save all we can for such emergencies, but it takes a while to replenish the fund.

Despite the money side of this, I have to count my blessings here. We were in town  when this happened. We didn't break down somewhere with no access to a phone. We didn't have to stand around in the hot sun while we waited for a tow truck. Rabbit Killer started when I decided to follow my roommate to the mechanic's so we could go straight home. The only thing worse than one brokeass automobile is two of them.

My roommate and I, while depressed about the situation, and nervous, tried to stay in as good spirits as we could. We laughed about our bad luck and tried our best to  distract ourselves from it. We won't know what's wrong until Monday at the earliest, so no reason to let it ruin our weekend.

Later in the evening, I went to an open mic night. My friend who gifted me with the flute wanted to see my progress. I froze up and couldn't play anything for the longest time. It was awkward and embarrassing. There is no way to explain to someone you have been practicing when you still sound horrible. I have no idea what went wrong. Despite having no promise as a player, he still gifted me with another flute. That was sweet of him. I hope he doesn't think I'm taking the gifts for granted. Flute playing is actually a great joy for me.

So anyway,  that was my day. It sucked, and yet it didn't. One nice thing about the Happy Meds is that they help me keep things in perspective. I'm not curled up in fetal position right now, despite the stress of the van and the bad flute playing. I know that good stuff happened too. I just wish there could have been more consistent good.

No comments:

Post a Comment