Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Summer Finally Starting

It's one in the morning and the heat index is still reading 99. This, oh my brothers and sisters, is the start to what hellsummers feel like. We may have had a nice first part of June, but the humidity is finally starting to make it truly unpleasant. At least I have fans to keep me less hot.

It's not all bad though. The fuckery that is Big Brother has started and my roommate and I are watching as usual. We don't always see the whole season through, but we at least start the show to see how horrible the contestants are going to be. We may stick through this one, as the twists don't seem to be as stupid as they usually are.

Big Brother actually brings back one of my best adult memories.  The summer my roommate and I moved into the trailer, it was hot and horrible and just all kinds of bad. The move was difficult to accomplish and we weren't having an easy time of it. We would have to spend the day packing things up and then make several trips to take things over to the trailer. Our only vehicle at the time was my Madza 323. If you've ever seen one of these, you can imagine the difficulty of using it to move.

Anyway, midway through the process, we were pretty exhausted. Cable was on in the trailer, but the only TV we had set up was in my roommate's bedroom. I remember sitting on the floor in his room, fairly close to the AC vent, and watching Big Brother on his TV.  I remember that as bad as the day had been and as bad as the move was being, we still had these nice moments of pleasure, when we could just unwind and be cool and watch idiots try to outsmart each other for money. I felt safe and I felt happy to be where I was.

So even though the show can annoy me from time to time, I will always hold it dear because of that memory. And also, the lesson connected to the memory. Even when things are stressful, it's helpful to have people in your life who can enjoy the things you enjoy, participate in a bit of mindless entertainment, and know that there is a place where you can feel safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment