Sunday, March 29, 2015

Solo Happiness

Today is my dad's birthday and, as always, I called to wish him happy birthday. And, as always, he didn't answer. This is a tradition for him. My dad lets all of his birthday wishes go his answering machine and then whenever he feels down, he plays them. He'll do this for quite a long time.

I think sometimes people's harmless ways of finding happiness get dismissed by others. I hear people complain about other people's hobbies or the music they like. I have to admit, I used to be guilty of this as well. As I've gotten older, I find that if someone finds happiness in something harmless, this is a thing that should be celebrated. It's actually kind of beautiful that we can do that.

I think it's important to teach people the value of finding happiness in small things. Often we base too much of our happiness in other people. We shouldn't. Happiness is one of the ways where it's most easy to be independent.

Hmm. Actually, I bet the fact that happiness can be found independently is one of the reasons why so many people try it shut it down when others do just that. There are a lot of people who don't want other humans to be independent. They don't want us to celebrate the self and find comfort in our own minds.

I encourage you to seek out happiness that doesn't involve anyone else. I think the more of that you find, the more stable of a person you can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment