Monday, March 23, 2015

Spoilers

In a recent interview (that I watched, because I'm obsessed), the showrunners of Game of Thrones admitted they had no choice but to push ahead in the story, even past where the books are. In all likelihood, they will tell the end of the story before the books do. Given that it takes GRRM at least five years to write each book, I think they're quite right about this.

A lot of people were upset. They don't want to find out what happens from the show. They want to read how the story unfolds and have a better understanding of how that happens. I have to say, I'm not one of these people. To me, the show is the show and the books are the books. Even if we know how things will end on the show, that doesn't mean the books will follow the same path. Yes, the same players may end up in the same positions, but then again, they may not.

Then again, from my perspective, the show and the books are alternate universes from each other. Yes, some of the same people exist there, but they exist in different ways and will take different paths. I'm pretty open to what those paths might be.

In a way, this is actually a relief to me. I've invested a lot of obsession into this story. I'd like to see it finished in one way or the other. I'd rather see it finished in BOTH ways, but I'll be happy with at least one.

No comments:

Post a Comment