Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Uprooted

I just wrote about George Michael last night and now Richard Adams and Carrie Fisher have passed as well. This has been a rough year for that kind of thing.

Fisher was probably my first hero. She was so strong as Princess Leia. She didn't let the idiot boys rescue her. She chose the one she wanted. She stood her ground. Later, she faced things in a public way that most people wouldn't talk about at that time. Drug use. Mental illness. Doubt. She never shied away from being HER.

Richard Adams destroyed me as a child. I watched Watership Down WAY too young. On some level, I was convinced that movie was just about suffering and bunnies getting their throats ripped open. He also wrote Maia, a book that I read while way too young. I learned all kinds of weird things about sex from that one.

As I get older, one of the things that really gets to me is how uprooted you can feel when people who shaped the culture of your childhood pass away. I will miss them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment