Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Rain

At one point today, it was 106 degrees outside. Which means that in my bedroom, it was probably like 118 or so. Then, by the complete wonderful and seemingly random awesomeness, it started to rain.  This happened about the time I was taking out the trash.

So I get to the steps and sit the trash bags on the ground.  I sit down on the bench thingy off the steps and let the rain fall on me. It was, I think, the first really wonderful experience that Teh Outsidez and I have had this summer.  Most of the time of late, Teh Outsidez is an abusive jackass to me. I get overheated. My arms get burned. I sweat. Yeah, none of it has been fun.

Today though . . . today I sat on the bench and enjoyed the rain. The bench was still really hot from absorbing so much heat, but that was a very nice contrast to the cold raindrops.  The sky was overcast, making everything seem greener than it actually is right now.  Best of all, the rain was making the dead grass smell wonderful.  I have no idea why I love that scent so much, but I do.  Maybe because every time I smell it, I'm getting some relief from the hot ass sunlight.

One of our outdoor cats came over and I scratched his ears.  He enjoyed the pets and I enjoyed spending a little time with him.  And it occurred to me that this would be a moment I would keep with me.  My memory of summer 2011 would include this one, happy moment when it rained and I was happy to be out in it.  I'm glad it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment