Monday, July 25, 2011

Use Until Dead

Did I mention I had to replace my keyboard? The old one was suffering from overuse.  The print had worn off of many of the keys and my Control keys were shot. I like the new keyboard. It's spiffy as fuck! Actually, I think it's just the generic keyboard that came with one of the computers, but it's new and springy, and that's quite nice for a change.

I'm not a hoarder, I worry about this sometimes, but I know I'm not. However, my roommate and I, being poor people raised by grandparents who lived during the Depression, so have some habits that help us out during times like keyboard breakage.

You see, whenever we replace a computer, we only replace what is actually broken. So if the new computer comes with cables, keyboard, mouse, speakers, or whatever, they get put into storage (in labeled and organized boxes!) and kept until they are needed. Instead of using the new parts, we continue to use whatever old parts we had with the last computer and do so until, well, you get the idea.

How does this help us? Well, it means that whenever something breaks, we tend to have a replacement for it. For instance, when the cat killed the mouse I'd had for ages, there was a replacement mouse for me within minutes.  It's comforting to know that when something does fall apart, there's no drama about its replacement.

Every few years, we go through the boxes and remove anything that is so outdated it serves no purpose. Usually there is someone who can use it.  A lot of people function on very old equipment. This keeps the level of storage to a manageable size.  And as I said before, it is always best to organize and label replacement items. This saves time and prevents agitation.

I realize this approach isn't practical for everyone. Some people absolutely cannot stand extra clutter, even if it's useful.  Other people don't have the room.  There is also a level of practical discipline you have to practice with this. If you are prone to hoarding, saving in this way could be dangerous.  Being able to rid yourself of stuff once its outlived its purpose is key to making this work. If you can't do that, best to avoid.

However, if you have ample room, tend to organize things, and especially if it isn't easy or convenient for you to replace items, extending the life of computer parts (or medical equipment or cleaning equipment or what have you) could really help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment