Thursday, September 8, 2011

The First Happies of Fall

Two days ago, I sat on the porch and basked in the cooler weather, all happy at the changes in light and density in air. It was lovely.

Today, my best friend grilled for me. We sat on her deck and drank beer while she cooked food for us.  The temperature was just right, neither too hot nor too cold. We talked about how revitalizing it was to be back on the deck again. It's something this long, horrible summer had taken away from us.

I have a cat on my ottoman, close enough for me to offer her toe-petting from time to time. She's content with this and I'm happy to oblige.  Three mornings ago, I had another kitty sleeping in the curve of my feet to keep warm. Cats always do such a better job of pretending to give a damn about you during the colder months.

In the morning, I can hear drumming. The high school band is practicing.  Even though I was in band for years and was even a drummer, this drumming doesn't remind me of school. It reminds me, always, of my grandfather. During Fall, he would always take his morning coffee out on the back porch so he could listen to the drums. He really loved them.

I had all the summer growth cut off of my hair. The lighter and broken-ended locks have given way to darker, stronger tresses.  I'm loving the hair and will soon be adding some dye to it.

And overall, I just feel more like myself. I feel like I've been able to move past survival mode and get back into the mode of living.  It's a very nice place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment