Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Gratefuls

I talked about my step-mom a while back, about how we're not really close but I like her. And I do like her. In fact, I'm in awe of this woman sometimes.

As I mentioned last night, my brother broke his leg. His surgery didn't happen until late in the evening. My sister-in-law's parents were taking care of their kids, so it was up to my dad and step-mom to help with things at the hospital.

My step-mother stayed with them until two in the morning. She not only helped there, she also drove from the larger city where the surgery was happening back here to our small town to pick up some things for them.  She did all of this for my brother who isn't even her kid. That's very remarkable.

In the wake of this, I feel very grateful. I am grateful my brother is recovering.  I am grateful he has sick leave days and that his job isn't going to suffer because of this. I'm grateful I have a wonderful sister-in-law who can remain calm in crisis situations. I'm grateful I have a step-mother who is kind.  Right now, in an odd way, I'm most grateful for that.

There is a lot of coldness in the world. I know this because sometimes I can be the cold one, the logical one. I can be the person who doesn't want to get emotionally involved or gets jaded or just stays stuck in place. But right now, I am humbled by the warmth and kindness of a woman who would drive so far out of her way just to get things so someone could be more comfortable in the hospital. That is beautiful. And it really makes me feel all gushy and happy inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment