Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Quiet: Part Two

It's another quiet night here at the house. The weather was warmish for a while, but then eased into something almost chilly. I love this.  I have a cat sitting on my ottoman and only the low hum of my oxygen machine as noise.   This is why I love two in the morning.

It's a dark night, but we're not expecting storms.  The rain may return during the rest of the week and I think it would be quite welcome in its return . . . but not tonight. I watched a movie that made me happy cry and an anime that made me wicked laugh. As I said, I love this time of night.

Everyone needs time like this . . . a time of quiet, a time of contentment, a time of distraction.  It helps a lot, especially when we face so much chaos and fear and strife the rest of the time. I know I'm one to really tongue kiss the conflict and chaos, but even I like my quiet nights.

When I was a kid, my favorite times were also at night. I would be in my bed, but able to listen to the adults. I'm not talking about those nights when they were angry or crazy or despairing. I mean the nights when they had some measure of peace and tranquility about them. I can still remember the coolness of my cheek against the pillow as I listened to the low murmur of their conversation. I could only ever catch just fragments of the discussion, but it didn't matter.  Their momentary peace was so rare and special that it rippled out and even touched me.

Even now I can remember what those moments were like.  If ever asked, I think it's this that I would describe as a happy time in my childhood. It's a little strange that a happy time was a moment when I was removed from the activities at hand. And it's a little sad to think this is something I will never experience again.

Even if Fall brings me no more magic than just these quiet evenings, I think that may be enough. The quiet has been very restorative. I'm grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment