Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Rusty Mementos

Kudos to my roommate for calling the plumbers and managing to get them here today. The guy who showed up is the one my roommate has a level of rapport with, so he fixed what was wrong and didn't charge us for it. This is awesome because we're the seriously poor.

Once the plumber left, my roomie handed over the bit of pipe removed from the water heater.  He smiled when he did this, because he knows how sickly fascinated I am by these things. I love rusty mementos of plumbing.

I'm still rather excited about this one.  The buildup in it was so thick!  On one side, I could basically push my pinky finger through. On the other side, I couldn't even do that!  It was glorious!

Of course, after marveling at the damage and buildup, I had to clean it.  I took an old toothbrush and some wetwipes and worked on the small bit of pipe until I could see through it.  It was caked black inside, black and thick with a faint smell of iron.

I love rusted old things. I love water damage and wear.  To me, all of these serve to create a deep loveliness to things, nature marking and changing them, destroying them from their original state to become something unique.  It's almost scary how happy this makes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment