Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Night Randoms

I had a fun day today but now my head has become Ye Alde Snot Factory and I hates it. All of my smug "pressure points on the sinuses" stuff clearly did not work as well I as thought it would. That's what I get for being smug. That sucks too because if I was ever going to find something to be smug about, finding a way out of Sinus Hell certainly would be a great.

You know that old story about the women who would be required to go to the temple of the sex goddess? As a celebration of prostitution, they would stand around and wait for some man to pay them for sex. It didn't matter what man, it didn't matter how much he paid. Whatever the price or man, they would go off with him. Supposedly, women from all levels of society were required to do this, usually right before or right after their married. This sacrifice to the goddess wasn't seen as shameful.

Of course, the story may or may not be true.  It was one of those bits designed to criticize and shame certain cultures. In fact, the story usually concluded with the idea that while the beautiful girls got to leave very quickly after arriving, sometimes the ugly girls would have to wait around for YEARS before they were paid for sex and got to leave.

I kind of want to start a series of books about one of the ugly girls at the temple. You know, she's not picked for sex, she solves mysteries, she helps people in their lives, more of less ends up running the place. I think it would be awesome.

When you think about it, it would be a pretty sweet life. The temple provides for you. You get to meet a lot of interesting people. You never have to worry about dying in childbirth. I think my ugly girl would be purposefully uglying herself up to get to stay at the temple and avoid a marriage to some dude she didn't want.

Anyway, I'll have to think more on it later. Sinus Hell has decided my head will now throb painfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment