Sunday, November 25, 2012

It Takes a Virtual Village

I started playing a new game on Facebook. Basically you start out in a small screwed up village and you slowly watch it grow. I do mean slow. People age one year per 24 hour period. The game allows you to grow families and hopefully expand into new generations. I love stuff like this so of course I'm playing.  The best part, besides the having babies part, is that you get to name your characters.

You start out with a pregnant woman and her husband who are wandering around rubble during a storm. I named the woman Hopeless and her husband is Useless. After some complaining on her part, they get things settled enough for her to deliver. She had twins. I named the boy Pointless. The girl is called Luckless. Game babies just crawl around and get out of the shelter, but serve no other purpose.

Soon they were joined by two other villagers. The first was an 18 yr old male that I named Shiftless. The other was a girl of 12. I named her Friendless. I'm not sure if Friendless and Shiftless are related or if he perved on a 12 yr old or what. I don't think he was perving on her, because the first thing he starts whining about is finding a girlfriend. I made arrangements for him to start dating a girl from a neighboring village and did my best to start building their camp.

The next night, I got to see everyone age up for the first time. The adults didn't change much, but Friendless, upon turning 13, was forced into laboring for the village like the adults. The twins, now one, could walk, run, and play. Play was the most important of all of these, because that was how I gained experience points. If your villager has more than two things they want, they won't play.

Past this, village life became a series of demands.  Hopeless is the worst. She's always wanting crap. Once I would go through the tasks to build her the stuff she wanted, she would instantly start whining for something else. Most of the time I would just make her work, because she never took any breaks from her wants to really just play for a while. Her husband Useless likes to have fun, too much, in fact. Every time I try to assign a task to him, it takes him forever to do it because he's too busy dancing or playing the flute. Idiot.

Friendless is my best villager. She likes to have fun when not working, and can farm faster than anyone. I would say Shiftless is my second best villager, but he now has baggage. I married him off to a woman from another village. They decided to come live with me, which at first I thought was a good thing. However, his wife is less than desirable. She has no real skills, she complains almost as much as Hopeless, and she showed up to my village at 28 years of age. 28.  She is nine years older than Shiftless and only has a few good breeding years. Normally in life I wouldn't care, but this is a game about breeding villagers. I kind of need her to be young considering babies take 48 hours to be born, which is basically two years in game time. By the way, I renamed this woman Giftless, because she brought nothing to the party.

I know the whole baby cycle time length because two days ago, Hopeless started demanding to have a baby. I clicked to allow it and 24 hours later, I was informed she was pregnant. This also meant she couldn't be used as a laborer until the baby was born. Twenty-four hours past that, she gave birth to a new little girl. I named her Tactless.

I have no idea how long this game will hold my interest before it either explodes or just disappears, but so far I'm having fun with it. Both Hopeless and Giftless wanted more babies today, so I clicked on the option to try and make it happen. I'll know by tomorrow if it worked. I suspect that Friendless will want to be married soon and there is a large chance she'll end up moving away. I'll miss her because she really is a good villager.

It's always the best ones who leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment