Friday, November 23, 2012

List of Holiday Rules

We spent Black Friday in a quiet, calm kind of way. We didn't go out or shop or anything, even though, during most weeks, Friday is our shopping day. We talked about my time with my family, ate leftovers, and watched the cats. I folded some laundry and shivered a bit as it got increasingly colder throughout the day. Now I've got a cat sleeping on me as I type. She's buried under a blanket and purring. Life is good.

As we get even closer to December, I want to keep life in a good place. I know this time of year can be very stressful and annoying, but I want to do everything I can to make sure it's not. Hence, I've decided to make some rules for myself this holiday season, especially where Facebook is concerned. I want to have a happy holiday and I know there are some ways I can accomplish that.

1. I will not judge other people and their taste levels. Okay, there are things I may think are tacky and overdone about people's holiday pics, but that's really none of my business. They're not posting the pics for my critique. They're posting them to document their own joy.

2. I will not read people's killjoy posts. I don't want to be made to feel guilty about the holiday. Yes, I know there are people who are suffering in the world, but if you want to do something about it, actually DO something about it. Don't just post crap on Facebook to make people feel guilty. That doesn't help the people who are having problems, that just makes people feel guilty.

3. I will ignore all posts about what the holidays should be called/what they mean/why we have them. Old argument is old. If you want to call it Christmas because Baby Jesus came down on December 24th and told you to, that is awesome. Call it Christmas. But don't show you ass by screaming at people who don't. By the same token, if someone else calls the holiday Christmas and you don't, don't scream at them for CALLING it Christmas. Christmas is what they happen to be celebrating. Let's just all try not to be dildos about it.

4. I will be In The Moment with my loved ones. I will not dwell on the past. I will not worry about the future. I will just enjoy the moments with the people and animals I love.

5. I will sing. I love holiday music and I'm going to sing it as often as I can.  Even if it's just in the car by myself . . .

I'm going to try and remind myself of this list every morning and do my best to live by it. I want a happy, peaceful holiday season. I can't control every aspect of it, but I can control these five things. Just that alone should make it pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment