Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Power of your Written Word

Today my roommate asked me if anyone else besides him had noticed the changes in my weight. I mentioned my therapist and a couple of other people, but then told him I was really okay with no one seeing it yet. I meant it too. This got me to thinking about why I was okay with it and how different that was from the past.

I think it comes down to two things for me. The first one is that, oddly enough, I am actually doing this for me this time. I'm not trying to get healthy so I can be approved of by a society that likes healthy people. I'm not doing it to impress a family member or god forbid, impress a boy. I'm doing it because I know it's best for me and it's making me feel good. All in all, this seems quite healthy.

The other reason I'm not too stressed about people noticing is because of the blog. I've been doing a lot of documentation about my walk towards a healthier life. Writing about it helps me to really think about what I'm doing, why, and look at the progress I've made over the months. It keeps me sane about the process and helps me to keep my mind on my goals.

I really, honestly do think that even if you aren't someone who blogs or keeps a journal or diary on a regular basis, if you decide to make a large change in your life, it is a good idea to start one. Writing about your transition can be invaluable for you. Just on the very most basic level, it gives you a document of the process from Point A to Point B. It also allows you to sort your thoughts, clear your head, and really work through the various aspects of your change. It keeps you grounded.

I know a lot of people don't think they have a talent for writing. If you've read this blog for a while, you know I believe everyone who has the ability to write can develop their writing voice. I believe writing, keeping a journal, reflecting on your life and thoughts, all of this is a skill anyone can cultivate.

I also believe it is a skill everyone SHOULD cultivate. You have this brain that is recording stuff and sensing stuff and allowing you to feel stuff all the time.  You should keep a record of that. You should think about how to feel and write it down. You would honestly be amazed at how evocative it is to read your own thoughts, especially if you allow yourself to write the things you would never say out loud to anyone . .  . or to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment