Thursday, November 1, 2012

November Synergy

I think one of the greatest mysteries in life is synergy. The fact that there are people, places, concepts, and even things to which we are instantly and unexplained connected is, to me, perhaps the greatest thing about being alive. These connections, actually, probably give us our moments of being most truly alive. They take us to our times of awe, of pure joy, and of epiphany. They change us and how we look at the world. They never stop changing us, really.

One of the people with whom I feel a deep connection is Frida Kahlo.  I have a minor in Humanities, so I took a lot of art classes in college. There were artists I found fascinating and ones who produced work that I loved dearly. I have a huge place in my heart for Vincent van Gogh and his life of suffering. I adore Vermeer and his work with lighting and color.

But when I first saw the work of Frida Kahlo, my whole body, my whole being knew that this one was mine. This was the artist I was going to love the most. This was the artist who was going to inspire me, going to give me hours of contemplation on her work. This was the artist I would spend days thinking about, the one who's life would be studied by me on an almost obsessive basis.

I love Frida's bravery. I love how she did not apologize for her looks or her beliefs. I love how she handled her cancer, painting her feelings about it, imagining how the disease looked inside her. I think if I ever get cancer, Frida will be one of my ways of coping. In fact, I know she will.

During November, a lot of people talk about things for which they are grateful.  I think I'm going to do that as well, but in a slightly more narrow way. I want to talk about the influences in my life, the epiphanies, the connections. It probably won't be every day, but many of them. I want to discuss the people, places, and concepts that helped to shape me.  After all, that is what I am most grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment