Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday Disgruntles

I didn't write last night because I was too stressed out. Salem Cat wasn't doing well and we had some plumbing issues. As of today, Salem is still with us and the plumbing is holding. I'm not sure either situation will keep that way for long. After everything that happened last month, this was just too much for me. I kind of shut down for a while.  I know I shouldn't let the stress get to me so much, but sometimes it just does. I hate it.....but in the moment, I have trouble stopping it.

I'm also annoyed with this whole Sandy Hook shooting debate. Why are we even having a debate about a tragedy? Isn't it enough that it IS a tragedy? You would think so, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

To answer the debated points . . .

If we take away guns, this WILL NOT stop crazy people from killing others. Guns may be easy to access, but if someone wants to kill, they can always build bombs or use hammers or something. Like it or not, the right to have guns is in our Constitution. Deal with it.

This shooting did not happen because there is no prayer in school. God doesn't stay out of all events in public schools because he's not allowed in there. God is supposed to be everywhere, and if you believe that, then he is. People can pray in school all they want, it's just not MANDATORY that people pray. Prayer is like Kegel exercises. You can do it all day and no one has to know.

For the love of all reason, NO, we should not give guns to teachers. Do you not remember your teachers? Teachers come in four groups. Good, burned out, don't give a damn, and evil. The good ones would fall to pieces if they had to shoot someone. The burned out ones are more apt to shoot themselves. The ones who don't give a damn wouldn't bother, and the evil ones just might shoot your kid for texting in class. Teachers with guns is not the answer.

NO, the problem is not the fact that drugs for mental health issues make you crazy. Yes, I know that a lot of people who have been involved in mass shootings were on medication. And there is some evidence that meds for mental health issues can cause extreme shifts in personalities. HOWEVER, the reason why these people were on the meds is because they were already having mental health issues in the first place.

Finally, while I know people want to make sense of this and feel scared about it happening again, the simple fact is that we can't just take extreme steps (ban all the guns! Ban all the meds!) and think it will solve the problem.  In fact, I assume doing both or either of those things would lead to far more violence as a result of creating the ban.

Anyway, this whole thing is creating a huge lot of annoyance on Facebook. It's almost as bad as the election. I guess these people needed something else to be hot and bothered over.

Speaking of hot and bothering, the sun was annoying today. Stupid ball of light. Anyway, enough disgruntling. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment