Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Person I Am

Today in therapy, we talked about the concept of proactively altering your perspective of who you are as a means to alter how your life is going.  In other words, how to stop living self-fulfilled prophecies in a bad way. You know, if you think you're a loser, you don't really try to do the things that cause success, so you keep on being a loser. It's not that simple, of course, but I figure it certainly can't hurt either.

When I started thinking about the person I want to be, I tried to work in more general terms, because I felt that would cover more ground. It's also somewhat more practical. "I am a skinny person" is just flat out untrue. "I am a person who makes choices that promote health" is not only less of a lie, but also covers more aspects of my life.

Once you have established your list, you are to think about it as often as possible. It is certainly helpful to think about it before you go to bed and when you wake up in the morning. I'm going to try to do it then and at least once during at alone time I have. We'll see how it goes.  Anyway, my list:

  • I am a person who stays calm in a crisis.
  • I am a person who seeks solutions for problems.
  • I am a person who is thankful.
  • I am a person who is  delighted by beauty and humor.
  • I am a person who makes choices to promote health.
  • I am a person who finds the positive side in things.
  • I am a person who is organized.
  • I am a person who seeks balance.
Anyway, that is my list. This is the person I want to be in my future. And yes, it's still me. It's just a less dour and losery me.

No comments:

Post a Comment