Thursday, July 2, 2015

Perceptions

A few months ago, I became FB friends with a woman who knew me when I was a baby. She and my mom were really close when I was in my under five years. In fact, her and her husband at the time (a second cousin of my father's) lived with us for a while. I'd not spoken to her in years and years, but it was good to know she was still around.

Today I posted something about being younger. She responded to the post and also messaged me privately to talk about it. In summary of kind of both, she told me how she had been terrified of children and didn't even know if she could be around one, but I was so much fun as a baby, that I actually made her want to have kids.

In a lot of ways, I thought this was really funny because the idea of ME encouraging anyone to have children is just so off the mark. Then again, this was before I had opinions about such matters. I was purely and simply just me. She knew me and loved me at this time before I really had any conception of needing to DO things or act certain ways for those things to happen. And yes, I realize we're not supposed to have to EARN love, but it's easy to forget that. Society basically tells us we have to.

However, it's neat to be reminded that people can love you and see your value without you having to do anything on purpose to try to earn it. The cool thing about the people who love you this way is that their perception of you never really changes. That's really an incredible thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment