Saturday, September 12, 2015

Fall Collection 2015

So this is the fall accessories collection. It shot a bit light, so imagine everything a shade or two darker than it looks here.   We have three hats, a large infinity scarf, a smaller infinity scarf, and a decorative micro scarf/necklace. Not pictured is a black bracelet and a headband in the lighter gray.

I think this collection if it had a name would be Lucky Finds. A lot of the genesis for this work is based on some odd things I found in the house and decided to use. I feel like the work I've done lately has had a real cohesion to it and I believe that is due to the finds.

The first item was a wooden N crochet hook of my grandmother's. It was in the house when we moved here, lurking about in her sewing stuff. It's larger than I ever work with, but I'm not one to toss away a good hook. For a long while, I didn't do anything with it. It's a long hook and I wasn't sure how much that might make my hands cramp. I tossed into the box where I keep the rest of my hooks and forgot I even had it. A few weeks ago, I found it again and decided to see what it could do.

As I've mentioned before, I had a stray ball of gray yarn that I wanted to put to use. It was the first thing I used the N hook on. The usual hat pattern had to be altred. Instead of doing a magic circle with 7-10 on it, all I could do was five. I won't tell you had many times I had to start over to realize this. Once I had the formula down though, I loved the pattern it created. Even on single crochet, it has a nice hole to it. With the exception of a few jewelry pieces, the N hook is the common theme with everything I've done so far.

The other lucky find was the yarn used to make the darker gray hat. I've had this yarn for years. It's been sitting in my room, in a catch-all box for about three of those years. At some point, something got on the yarn and bleached out a small section of it to a rusty orange.  Normally, this isn't my favorite color, but the yarn had enough blue in it to make it very pretty with those random spots of rust. That flaw turned this blah yarn into something very unique and beautiful. I think it's my favorite hat so far.

Anyway, I have a couple of requested projects I'll be doing, but other than that, the next thing I'm working on is a big step for me. I'm going to crochet a jacket. We'll...yeah. We'll see how that turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment