Monday, June 19, 2017

June Box: First Items

For some reason, my hand did not want to write items. It kept writing time. That is very annoying. Anyway, my June box from Sephora Play! came in. This time, all the products were in a little cloth baggy with drawings of women in bikinis. It's pretty adorable. The theme is Summer Starters. The thing is, the two items I'm going to talk about today seemed rather out of place in this bag. Neither of them really felt summery to me. I could make a case for both of them being in this collection, somewhat, but the color of the lipstick and just the overall nature of the scent just don't give me summer.

The scent is Black Opium by Yves Saint Laurent.  It retails for 91$. I didn't exactly like this scent. It has some nice elements to it and a somewhat candy-like fragrance, but it also contains notes of patchouli and I've never been a fan. Granted, they handle the patchouli well. It doesn't swallow up everything else, but it does add this kind of heaviness to the scent that doesn't please me and certainly doesn't feel summery. I know a lot of people would balk at this review because technically, this is an award winning perfume. It just isn't to my taste.

The next item was one of Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in K-Dub. The product retails for 20$. It comes in 42 shades and some of them have glorious names! One shade is called Backstage Bambi and one shade is called Underage Red. I want to buy Underage Red just so I can tell people I have a lipstick called Underaged Red! Anyway, back to the review.

Everlasting is actually a pretty amazing product. It stays on quite well and it feels really light on the lips. Even though it feels like nothing, the shade has quite an impact because it's highly pigmented. This is cool, but it also causes some problems. My roommate said it didn't LOOK very light, and I'll agree with him there, but the feel of it is great.

Part of the issue is that I didn't exactly like the K-Dub shade. Like with the lipstick last month, this one, while very pigmented, was matte. I'm just not a fan of matte lips. The other problem is that it's kind of a noncommittal magenta. If it was either pinker or more purple, I would have liked it more. As it was, I just wasn't feeling it.

Despite the color, I would completely recommend this lipstick. If you want something that gives a lot of intensity without feeling like you missed seven clowns to achieve the color, Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid is a good way to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment