Thursday, June 22, 2017

June Box: Hair Care Items

Okay, this is an interesting side note to me getting these to hair care items. On Tuesday, I got my hair cut into a short little Beth Ditto-ish punk pixie. I love it a lot, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't care because my hair was making me so hot before. Not hot in a sexy way, hot in a sweaty, I want to die because it's summer kind of way. The shortness and health of my hair is making it look amazing on all accounts so the two products I have for hair care didn't really impress me overly much.

The problem is, I'm not sure they would have impressed me before either. My hair is either completely great due to having a good cut or a pain in the ass that does nothing right because it's too long. During the summer, there is no good hair day if my hair is long. It's just impossible.

The first product isn't just a hair product. Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil retails for 32$ and is mainly made from sunflower and shea oil. It also contains rose and apricot, and while one might think the rose scent would make it too old lady-ish, it's really mild. From what I understand, as a hair product, this is mainly used as a defrizzer. Right now, frizz isn't a problem for me. I used it to touch up some of the dry patches on my skin and it worked pretty well. This is probably what I'll use it for.

As you know, Sephora sends out sample sizes of the products so I don't know if this would be an issue with the actual full-sized version, but I'm having difficulties with the same size of this product. It's constantly oily and slick. It leaks and I'm sure it will soon attract dust and other nastiness to make it into just this godawful mess. A product that does that kind of thing is eventually going to get on my last nerve unless it is supremely great.

The last item was IGK Rich Kid Coconut Oil Gel.  This product costs 27$ and was created by a group of in-demand stylists from across the US. It's difficult for me not to like something that smells like coconut. This smells nice and it goes on okay. In the video over the product, they talked about how this was best for fine hair because it isn't heavy. In the reviews, however, a lot of people with curly and thicker hair were saying they liked it.

The basic problem for me is that I'm not really all that into the sort of look this aims to create. Well, okay, technically I am, but I can achieve the same thing by just not washing my hair. This product is mostly used to achieve what they call a 'lived in' look, which is, from what I've been able to tell, the look people have when they get off a plane after having drunken sleep for the last eight hours. It's a little more separated and mismanaged than what I would want to pay a product to do. My hair will look that way all on its own.

At the end of the day, I was least interested in these two products. Neither was truly offensive, but they just weren't my cup of tea. I will admit, part of that is just my complicated and constantly annoyed situation with my hair. The other part is just not really finding them that impressive. However, I would encourage anyone to read the other reviews of them before making up their mind. Hair is very subjective and my flyaway, thin as hell hair should never make up anyone's mind about hair products at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment