Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Catharsis

I've always been very mesmerized by the ability of musicians to capture the painful, desperate, and exhausting moments of life in such a beautiful way. I think I find songs about drugs and suicide fascinating because they have this way to capture those moments of pure relief that someone would feel in those moments when the drug kicks in or when it's too late to stop death from coming. In this case, with this song, the last verse does this. It gives you this rush of peace and relief when you know the jumper is beyond the capacity to stop. No more decisions can be made and that, in its own way, is a relief.

My falling shape will draw a line
Between the blue of sea and sky
I'm not a bird, I'm not a plane

I took a taxi to the Gate
I will not go to school again
Four seconds was the longest wait

Some people think songs like this encourage the behaviors they describe. I tend to disagree. Art is catharsis. You can experience the rush of emotions without having to really go through the act. Someone in the comments talked about how this band has, at points, saved their lives. We all have bands like that. Often it's their most painful songs that pull us through our darkest moments. It's how we process and move forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment