Friday, January 12, 2018

Winter Decisions

I want to start out by saying that I'm NOT bragging about how clever and wonderful I am here. Was I clever and wonderful, I would have been prepping for cold weather months ago. I did not do this. This was all last minute stuff that happened because I was already cold. So this isn't about me being great, this is about the stuff I got to help bring great.

Anyway, I was cold. Freezing, in fact. I decided I needed to get some items to help me through the winter because my house is over 100 yrs old, drafty, and built over the soul of a frost giant. The floors get so cold that I get chilblains on my toes. Sometimes I get them on my fingers as well, but that takes actually being out in the freezing ice.

To handle the floor issue, I asked my roommate to pick me up some slippers. I have some already but they weren't warm enough. I wanted something big and thick and capable of keeping my feet protected from these awful floors. With this in mind, he didn't even bother with women's slippers. He got me these thick, warm, amazingly cozy houseshoes that look like they would be worn by Elmer Fudd. In fact, I call them my 'fudds' and I adore them. For the first time all winter, my feet are warm.

I also ordered a set of longjohns to wear under my clothes. This is certainly helpful when I'm having to leave the house or wait outside for a while. Keeping my legs warm goes quite a long way towards keeping the rest of me warm.

Finally, it can get really cold to work on a computer in weather like this. I tried to just cover my torso with a blanket, but that was cumbersome. Then I remembered I had a cloak I could wrap around me. Now I have a warm torso, but better movement of my arms. When my hands aren't busy with the keyboard or mouse, they can just be resting warmly under the cloak.

And, as always, I have one of my wonkily made hats.

No comments:

Post a Comment