Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Cars, Boxes, and Teeth Metaphors

The car was making a scary sound so we took her to the mechanics today. About $150.00 and I have new back brakes. The scary sound seems to be gone. Yay.

I got through all the boxes of stuff in the upper section of my closet. I'm going to have to spend some money because while I don't really want rid of all of the things up there, I don't want them displayed either. I'm opting for under bed storage to hold pictures/frames/papers I want to keep. I'll get them as organized as possible in those and then figure out what to do with them later.

I also found the majority of the stuff I need to make my collage art. There was a lot of old and damaged paper for me to work with. I even found some cool mats for smaller pieces.

The walls are difficult in my house, but I still think there needs to be more art in it. Empty walls just make the place feel temporary and it looks like it isn't going to be. It's weird that we were better decorated in the trailer that we knew was only for a while than we are here. Then again, a lot has happened since then. I mean, I want this to happen, but I am also not going to push things too fast because there is only so much either of us can do at any given time. The house has limitations, though I think there are solutions. I just need to suss them out.

Some people would argue that I'm wasting my time because the majority of what I'm doing is cosmetic. I think they underestimate how much cosmetic changes can make in a home. I mean, yes, we need the structural stuff fixed too, but we don't have the money or skill for that. And just because we can't fix the structural doesn't mean it's pointless to fix the cosmetics.

It's like teeth. A lot of people have tooth issues and have to opt for veneers. Veneers do not fix your teeth. In fact, you have to do more damage to the teeth you have in order to prep them for veneer placement. It does not alter the fact that your teeth are bad.

However, it does give you the appearance of healthy teeth. This means you get treated better. This means you can get a better job. This means you have more confidence when you smile. Is it a costly coating over a bigger problem? Yes. Can it still make your life better? Also yes.

Mind you, I don't believe that is the case in all things. The people down the street put a veneer of stone over their rotty old house walls and it fell off within a couple of months. You have to pick and choose what you decide to put effort into. However, doing NOTHING certainly means things won't get better. Also removing stuff from the house means less chances of it catching on fire.



No comments:

Post a Comment