Friday, February 7, 2020

Keys

When I first heard about Marie Kondo, it was all second-hand information from people who were pretty resistant to what she was doing. In fact, the main thing most people talked about was how she wanted you to get rid of all your books (this is in no way true) and how she was very exacting and strict. She was presented as some kind of Tiger Mom of tidying. Once I watched the show, I realized how far from the truth this was.

Marie Kondo, at least as she is presented on the show, is a deeply spiritual sweetheart goofball with a delightful sense of humor and a beautiful way of looking at the world. I don't completely hold with all of her beliefs, but I see the validity in them. I certainly wish I had been raised to view my home/things as organic and spiritual aspects of my life that I should strive to live in harmony with. I love her idea of not 'doing chores' but of keeping a house tidy because it is the best way to find happiness.

And, okay, DO I believe that a tidy house is a key element to happiness? Right now, I'm not sure. A great deal of my being wants to scream "NO THAT DOES NOT MATTER" because that part of me is still in a mental war with my grandmother. I mean, honestly, a tidy house was not my grandmother's key to happiness. She saw cleaning as a burden and a path to martyrdom.

But the other part of me kind of wants to note that I do like the way things look when the room isn't messy. I do enjoy folding my clothes. I do find that I am delighted when I can actually get one of my giant tent-like pieces of clothing to really fold in a perfect way. So maybe, if I keep this up, tidying can become a key to happiness for me.

In either case, I certainly will be even more hesitant than usual when it comes to people's opinions about what women are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment