Friday, November 11, 2011

Paint Paint Revolution

I think one of the first things I ever did with a computer was play with Paint.  Paint is like the most simple of simple art programs. It can do basically  . . . well, it's basic.  There are tons of other graphics programs, some of them very expensive, some freeware with all kinds of spiffy addons.

However, I as I'm too lazy to redownload currently functioning without another graphics program, I find that I open Paint quite a lot. I think everyone should open up Paint a lot, and spend at least half an hour in there. Every day.

One of the best classes I ever took in college was a weekend crash course over art therapy.  It's something I fundamentally believe in.  I think everyone should do art and I hate it that we've limited art to just the talented people in the world. Art is something all of us are capable of, even if it's just the most simple things. Even if it's just Thanksgiving turkeys made from the outline of your hand. It's still yours. It will still make you feel something.

The cool thing about Paint is that it's very easy to play with. It's options are small, but wonderful tools for expressive reflection. It even has a crayon option, which is nice for anyone who wants to relive those childhood moments.

I think even if you just open Paint and scribble in circles for a while or zigzag back and forth it is still good for you. It relieves a lot of stress just to watch as you move over the canvas.  Don't worry about making it good. Just explore and see what you come up with.

You know, as much as I hate how many people view art as frivolous, I think I hate the idea that it's an elite and exclusive form of expression even more. Sure, maybe you can't make money with your art, maybe you'll never show in a gallery, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't allow yourself access to it. It doesn't mean you can't derive pleasure and comfort and even insight from seeing what you create.

I think one of the most fundamentally damaging aspects of modern education is the fact that we have allowed the product of things like art to become far more important than the process. I think every time someone looked at a kid and told them their art wasn't all that great, they began to limit the kind of creative self-definition this child could have.

You can change that though. Open the Paint program. Play with it. Just let yourself go and explore with it. Wake that kid inside you up.

I think you might find you're better than you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment