Monday, March 10, 2014

Blinding Sun, Bikes, and Evil

This afternoon, I took a nap. Normally naps don't bring on deep and freakish dreams, but this nap did. The thing about really strange dreams is that they have aspects of reality in them.  The best weird dreams have so much reality to them that you find yourself completely believing everything that is happening. It's only on analysis that you notice all the implausible things. The dream I had this afternoon is a good example.

 I dreamed I was napping! Yes, I dreamed I was doing exactly what I was doing, which certainly added to the believably of it. My roommate woke me up and told me that lunch was ready. Again, this is usually what happens in the afternoon. I got up and went into the kitchen to talk to him. This is when things began to go sideways. There was a woman in a Sonic uniform outside of our house, walking back and forth, looking for something. I asked my roommate about her and he looked at me, fear in his eyes, and whispered that it was best we didn't talk about her. It was kind of that nice little Night Vale trick of turning ordinary people in ordinary jobs into something sinister.

While most of the business with the Sinister Sonic Waitress was clearly dreamlike, my reaction to it wasn't. I trust my roommate and know that he doesn't scare easily. If he was frightened of the woman, I knew that I should be as well. So in my dream, I began to get scared, because . . . well, Sonic Woman was gonna do SOMETHING bad. Get my order wrong or something.  As I was watching her pass back and forth outside, my roommate asked me if I'd put my bike in a shaded area after I rode it this morning. I reminded me that it was going to get really hot for the rest of the day and my bike shouldn't be out in the sun.

By this point I was beginning to panic. I couldn't remember WHERE I put my bike (because in reality, I don't have one, haven't ridden one in years, and certainly didn't remember where I parked it then) and I knew this was going to be a problem. Now, there are aspects of reality that were working here. I am exercising more and eventually DO want a bike again. I also get very anxious about issues dealing with my modes of transportation. The worry that I have about vehicle malfunction doesn't ever truly leave me, so it was easy for it to rev up in the dream.

Now I knew things were dire. IF I'd left my bike out in the sun, I was going to have to go move it, which meant trying to avoid that woman from Sonic who was clearly trying to kill people. I tried to look outside and see where I'd put the bike, but the sun kept blinding me and I couldn't see anything out there. It got so bad that even when I wasn't looking outside, all I could see was bright, bright sunlight. I knew this was going to cause a migraine headache, because in reality, that's what too much sunlight really does to me.

About that time, blinded, my head throbbing, my heart pounding in fear, I realized I was going to have to go outside and find my bike. I knew I needed to avoid the Sonic Woman, but it was unlikely I could. I wasn't seeing well enough to figure out her patterns and more than likely, I was going to die. Still, that was better than leaving my bike out in the sun..........because dreams have logic like that. I opened the door and told my roommate I would be right back.

And, of course, this was about the time I woke up and realized the whole mess was just a dream. Normally I hate it when my dreams stress me out, but this one was just so unnerving and creepy that I was just grateful to have escaped it. The dangerous parts of it weren't real and I don't have to fear being killed by some woman who works at Sonic. Having said that, I'll probably avoid the place for a while . . . just for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment