Monday, March 17, 2014

The Day of St. Patrick

My roommate and I made colcannon for dinner and it was very good. This was our major event for St. Patrick's Day. Other than that, I listened to Dropkick Murphys and sent links of their songs to some of my FB friends. It was enough of a celebration for me. I was happy with it. This was always my mom's holiday, as I have written about before. I mostly miss her on this day. My roommate helped me to not feel sad though. He decided that colcannon was "Irish Cthulhu." I really loved that.

He tends not to like holidays that don't have gifts or candy. To a large extent, I agree. But as I get older, I find that what I most want in a holiday is just some level of ritual to make it our own. Even if it is just making a meal we rarely make or making a homemade pie. Maybe all we will do is just sit out on the porch and watch other people's fireworks. So long as it is ours, it makes me happy.

Anyway, the day is over and we have Spring to look forward to. Normally I would never say that, but Winter has been pretty brutal and a new season might help things a lot. Happy St. Pat's everyone. I do wish you will well.

No comments:

Post a Comment