Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fact Collision

You know how sometimes two unrelated facts can collide together to make one embarrassing situation? If you don't, trust me; at some point in your life, you will experience this. It helps when said unrelated facts are both annoying. And in my case this morning, they were.

Fact #1. When it is allergy season, it takes my eyes a few hours to clear. I can see.....ish. I can function with sight, but distance vision and things close up are a little sketchy. I tend to take some guesses about what is going on. It never lasts long. By the time I've had coffee and looked at my computer for a bit, I'm fine.

Fact #2. I have friendly neighbors. I know this shouldn't be a cause for annoyance, but it is. I'm a rather antisocial person and I don't LIKE to talk to people. . . . especially when it's in the morning, I'm trying to walk, and I'm out of breath. Still, I know that as a human, I'm supposed to go along with the social ques. If someone is friendly, it's best to be at least marginally friendly back.

How these two facts collided:

I got up this morning and my eyes were fused shut by the various things that allergies can do to you. I try not to think about those things too much. Anyway, after washing my eyes out for a while, I could see....ish and knew I had to do my morning walk.  When I got outside, I noticed a tall man in my neighbor's driveway. He was leaning against the truck and talking on  the phone. As I couldn't see that well, I made some logical assumptions that it was my neighbor, who is friendly. Luckily, he was on his phone, so all I had to do was wave in order to fulfill my duties as a friendly person.

I waved.

The man stared at me.

I assumed he hadn't seen me, so I waved again.

He lifted his hand slowly and waved in confusion.

As I walked closer to him, I realized, to my horror, that it was NOT my neighbor. It was someone there to work on their house. I had been waving at someone who had no idea who I was. Sigh.

I need to wash my eyes out more in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment