Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Bathroom Dreams

The plumber came today and fixed the thing that was wrong with the toilet. This is a great thing. No one wants a messed up toilet, especially when it's the only one in the house. They didn't show up until almost 4:30, so we basically had to wait around all day, looking decent enough to receive guests. It was muggy as all hell, so this wasn't very much fun. I'd like my October with a little more chill, thanks.

Speaking of bathrooms, I had one of my weird dreams about bathrooms again. This happens quite often to me, and I blame my Senior Girls' Tea from back in the day. The event took place at the Kerr Mansion a few miles from town. While we were there, we weren't supposed to sneak off and tour the place, but of course I did.

Even after all these years, I can still remember how thrilling it was to wonder from room to room, looking at the strange bedrooms and their absolutely fascinating bathrooms. One of them had a snail shower. It was the first time I'd ever seen one of those. Everything was beautiful and so very much more ritzy than what I'd ever seen up close.

Sadly, I've been told recent renovations stripped out a lot of the character and charm from the place. That really makes me sad. Though, I'm somewhat suspect that knowing this is what has shaped my recent version of the bathroom dreams. It used to be that I would dream I was in someone's house and decided to explore. I would always find these really wonderful bathrooms.

Lately, however, when I'm in the dreams, I'll go look for the bathrooms, but they're always really disappointing. They'll be big, yes, and clearly in places where they SHOULD be grand, but they never are. They'll be covered in putty colored plastic, with leaky showers, tacky sinks, and questionable toilets. What the hell brain?

Last night was no different. The house was beautiful and all of the bedrooms I explored were equally amazing. However, when I got to the bathroom, it was tiny and disappointing. The ceiling was low. I could stand, but it was almost claustrophobic to do so. The walls were covered in tacky, beige plastic and the shower was nothing more than just a portion of the room, with a curtain and an ugly old showerhead jutting from the wall. Ick.

To console myself, I spent some time today looking at beautiful bathrooms. It made me feel somewhat better. I hope that perhaps these will enter my mind and return next time I have one of these dreams. I would very much enjoy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment