Monday, November 24, 2014

Love Again

One of the things I love about having really good headphones is that I discover things about music I never really heard before. This can even happen in songs I've been listening to my whole life. When this kind of thing happens, it's like discovering a secret door in the back of your closet. It's thrilling.

Today, this happened when I was listening to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams." I have probably heard this song a million times. But today, I really paid attention to the acoustic guitar during the chorus. My god, it's magnificent! I knew it was there, but I've always focused on other aspects of what is happening at those points in the song.

That guitar though, it's pretty awesome. I set the song on repeat and listened to it over and over again, so happy to have finally found this new dimension to the song I love. I was at Walmart, waiting in the parking lot for my roommate. It's a few days before Thanksgiving so everything going on around me was chaotic and frantic. Inside the van, however, everything was just that guitar riff. It was beautiful.

So what did I learn today? I think I learned, and this is a lesson I learn quite often, that there is value in returning to the things you love. The reason you love them is usually because they appeal to you on one level at one given point in time. You change, and perhaps they don't seem as important to you anymore. However, as you grow (and as technology gets better), you may discover new aspects of the things you loved. You get to fall in love all over again. That's always fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment