Thursday, November 13, 2014

Practiced and not Perfect

The afghan has gained some more inches. The colors are going together somewhat well right now, but I am sure that won't last. When you're doing an afghan just to get rid of yarn, quite often things are ugly and desperate looking by the end. I'm sure this one will be no different. Even though I thought I was watching my count, I'm still getting a jaggedy edge. This may be due to the varying sizes of yarn I'm using. More than likely, it's due to my miscounting.

As I've mentioned before, one of the things I enjoy most about working with yarn is that I'm not really that good at it. Most of my projects turn out askew. They often have an imperfect, screwed up look to them. I don't do this on purpose either. I just have some kind of disconnect about how to follow patterns. . . even as I am trying my damnedest to follow the pattern.

Normally practice makes people better, but I've only seem a small bit of improvement in my skill. I don't work as tightly as I used to, which means my work is softer and easier to handle. I'm more consistent with stitch size. I'm more likely to count and check to see if things are where they should be.  Even with these new skills in place, the final products still look strange.

It's okay though. I'm not good at this, but I love it. I love what I make with my meager skills. I'm wearing a wonky hat I made a few years ago. It keeps me warm, even if the top of it does kind of look like a nipple. The very first afghan I ever made is still in my possession. I made it when I was around 21. It's ugly and sloped, but it's warm and still with us.

I suppose that's the important part.

No comments:

Post a Comment