Friday, February 27, 2015

Snow and Kindness

You know how I talked about my comfort zones yesterday and breaking them? Ohhhh boy did I do that today! I was over at my friend's house and had to drive home in the snow! It was  . . . well, I lived, and I certainly overcame a lot of different obstacles. Driving through snow means that you have to make a lot of choices about things. I think I made the right ones.

But I don't want to talk about me, oddly enough. I want to talk about the really nice thing that my best friend's husband did for me. When it was time for me to leave, he walked outside with me and brushed the snow off of my windows. This was such a deeply kind thing for him to do! I felt so grateful for it, because it saved me a lot of time and suffering in having to do them for myself. I was really touched by this.

I went home thinking this had been a day of true kindness toward me. You see, I thought someone else had been very kind to me as well. When I left this morning, it was still dark outside and things were a bit iced over from the snow we'd had a few days ago. But the outside light by the back stoop was on. It had been on for some time, because it was actually shining bright (it takes it a while to do that, a long while). I was so touched! I thought my roommate had turned the light on for me so I wouldn't be stumbling around in the icy darkness.

When I got home, I thanked my roommate for leaving the light on. He looked confused and told me he didn't mean to do it. The light was on because he'd been looking for an outdoor cat and just forgot to turn it off. I'd been thinking he was awesome and kind all day for no reason!

Even still, it was a good way to start my morning. Even unintended kindness is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment