Friday, February 13, 2015

The Yes

On my list of many, many flaws is the fact that I'm not very brave. Seriously not brave, to the point of often being a weenus about things. Like many of my flaws, this one has caused me many, many problems. It's one that I've been trying to tackle, as I've mentioned before. It's kind of my goal for the year. You know, a lot of the times, when you make a New Years' Resolution, it's either something you absolutely won't do (like save money or work out more) or it's something that just won't come up all that often, because it's vague.

Mine, however, seems to present itself quite often. Be more brave. Embrace the challenges. Face the scaries!

On Tuesday, my roommate and I were in the local small city and considered getting take out from a place we like, but is only located there. We ran short on time though, and in the discussion, he said that given how I would be in town on Friday, I could get it then.

I didn't want to get it then. I was going to be by myself, driving BY MYSELF. It would require me taking roads I never drive by myself (I usually am the passenger when we're in the city). I would have to cross lanes of busy traffic. My mind was instantly screaming all this at me while he waited for an answer. It also supplied me with tons of excuses as to why I could reasonably back out of it.

I said yes.

And yes, I actually did pick the stuff up. I drove down the scary streets in the scary traffic and crossed the traffic and made it home in one piece. And of course I did, because none of this was really all that scary. It's normal stuff normal people do every day without harm. I'm just not brave.

I'm getting there though.

No comments:

Post a Comment