Friday, March 18, 2016

Talk Less Smile More

So after HRC did really well in the last round of primaries, she did what any person running for president would do. She made some speeches. But because she's a woman, some people, well, quite a few people, reacted in a negative manner to this. They felt like her very vocally powerful speeches were objectionable.

They did not feel this way because of the content. Well, I am sure they disliked the content too, had they paid attention to it. No, this was more about the fact that she was being loud. They couldn't understand that a woman can make a speech in a powerful manner. That means she's just yelling at people. They also were offended because she didn't smile.

I have some questions here, for the people who complained about HRC not smiling and speeching in a pleasing manner.

Okay, first of all, have you never heard a woman speak in a bold manner before? Have they only ever been loud when they were angry or, I dunno, cheerleading? Do you not understand that, like the nonvagina people in the species, women can speak in an assertive manner too? I suppose this is altogether possible. I know that a lot of women, over the years, have edited how and what they talk about around men. Maybe you never actually have seen a woman do this before. Huh.

Even so, and this is question #2, do you not pay any attention to the current social conversation going on around you? Do you not know that if you mehmeh about how women aren't smiling enough, it's going to make people think you're an idiot? Now, I'm not actually SAYING you're an idiot here. I'm simply pointing out that this is how people will perceive you. For every person who adores your sexist bullshit, there will be a lot more who kind of hate you for it and will basically dismiss anything else you ever say. Maybe you don't care? I mean, that's fine if you don't. I just wondered if you knew this kind of social discussion was happening.

Third question, and maybe this is the one that cuts the deepest to the issue for me. If you are aware that women can speak loudly without yelling and also know that women really hate it when you tell then to smile when they don't want to, why did you still go and say this stuff about HRC? Were you just trying to nitpick at anything you could? Were you trying to toss whatever stones you could find?

Or is the compulsion to speak out when women aren't doing things that you find pleasing SO strong that you just couldn't help yourself?

Look, in some ways, I get it. I hate loud voices. Well, most voices, actually. With very rare exception, I truly hate listening to people talk. So I get the voice thing. I don't get the smiling thing, though. I think most people look creepy when they fake smile. But even if I did think people should smile more often, I still wouldn't demand it of them. No one has the right to do that. And even though most people's voices set my teeth on edge, I also know that I can't demand they speak more softly or just shut the fuck up completely. I don't have the right to do that to others and neither do you.

On the bright side, one day we'll probably go deaf. Then I won't have to hear anyone talk and you won't have to hear mean women saying mean things. Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment