Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday List: A Loose List of Thoughts on British Royals

So today was the wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate.  I did not watch any of it or look at any of it any more than I had to. I looked at her dress because I do have an interest in these things and found hers to be quite lovely and tasteful. Diana's dress was very dated to me, too 80s.  I think Kate's dress will still look stylish in years to come. So good for whomever made that decision.

Good luck to them. I don't really believe in marriage, but I guess in the case of royals, it is unavoidable. I hope their marriage is less troubling than that of his parents.

I always felt sorry for Diana.  She was so young when they married.  Charles was old and ugly.  Sure, he was a prince, but old and ugly and he seemed very boring.  Mind you, these were my impressions as a young girl when I was really shallow about things like "old and ugly."  It seemed like from the moment she was chosen as his bride, she was already on some downward spiral to her death.

One of the things that squicked me out about the Diana situation was how they made such a public thing about her being a virgin. Given the level of invasion the press always had with her, I'm honestly surprised there weren't pictures of her virgin twat in the tabloids. Everyone always felt so entitled when it came to Diana, like every aspect of her life was their business. I bet there were people out there who felt cheated because they didn't get a piece of her placenta after she gave birth.

I'm happy things have changed enough to where the status of Kate Middleton's virginity was never discussed, because it is no one's damned business. I really hope the royals have learned from the last round of marriages and whatnot how to keep the press at arm's length so that people can have some level of private life.

Because really, William and Harry are far more gracious than they should be. The press chased their mother down and basically caused her wreck.  She died trying to get away from nosy reporters.  William and Harry are nice to the press, even though these people, in their selfishness and insanity, caused their mother's death. I know people will say that being a royal is a job, but dammit, people should get some time off from their jobs.....and even if it is a job, no one's life should be under constant public scrutiny. It's just damned wrong.

As I said, I wish Will and Kate well. I hope their marriage is happy and as normal as it possibly can be.

I also hope that she never has a lot of kids. The last thing we need is a reality show called Will and Kate Plus  8.

No comments:

Post a Comment