Thursday, April 14, 2011

Gimme Shelter

Tonight there were some very serious storms in my area.  This is tornado season and all the local channels where on high alert about all the impending bad weather.

My roommate and I grew up around tornadoes, so we're both rather indifferent to them. The idea of going into the cellar seems like more work than staying in the house and if we die in the storm, so be it.

But my brother has two small children, so he, said children, his wife, and one of their friends came over and stayed in our cellar.  When the storm let up, they came into the house to use the bathroom and check on the status of the weather.  Eventually, they went home.

It's interesting in that while I had no need to go find shelter myself, I rather love the idea of providing it for others. I like the fact that they come here and find safe harbor. I like the idea of being thought of as someone who can provide that.

The funny thing is, this never occurred to me until tonight.  I find the idea quite intriguing and plan to think about it and explore it some more in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment