Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Road Frequently Traveled

Today was a mixture of good and bad.  The roommate and I went to look for possible replacements to my computer should it fail completely.  We still haven't been able to determine what's wrong with the damned thing.  It's frustrating and rather scary, given our limited funds.

So the bad part was the knowledge that we're about to possibly incur a big expense, one that may or may not work any better than the jacked up mess of a computer I have right now.  My comp is only about 15 months old and the fact that its screwing up doesn't bode well for the idea of any new comp in the future.

The good part was that my roommate and I had a wonderful time.  We sang, we laughed, we accused each other of outrageous things.  We ate mall Chinese food, chopsticking off of each other's plates for variety. We people watched. We remarked on changes we saw. We bitched about stupid drivers.  We snarked at the state of ugly in some of the small towns between ours and the city.

We've been friends for a long time now. During those years, we've made that trip many, many times.  Sometimes it was fun. You know, that is a lot of what travel together is when you're new in your friendship.  You go to see movies, to eat, to celebrate birthdays or graduations or holidays.  Often my roommate and I would go eat Christmas day dinner at Denny's, just for the perversity of it.

Over time, the trips can become more serious.  You take each other to doctor's appointments.  You travel to visit each other for hospital stays. You find out things you knew to be true, but needed medical confirmation and drive home making plans, both sighing in relief because something can be done.  Sometimes, you get devastating news and you drive home in silence, wondering how you'll deal with the fact that the world just shifted.

But in all of those trips, even the stressful ones, even the scary ones, and yes, even the horrible ones, I've been very blessed to have someone who will make me laugh and sing with me.  Someone who can help me take the edge off the bad stuff. I know that I've been this for him as well, and that makes me happy.

As a general rule, humans tend to look towards some possible future and ignore the here and now.  A lot of us, when we're traveling the road most frequently traveled, pay little attention to it, our minds off dreaming of destinations unknown.  The thing is, the future is uncertain . . . and could quite possibly suck as much as whatever is making you unhappy in the moment. All things considered, we do ourselves the greatest service in paying attention to what is really happening on our current trip, and being grateful to the people taking it with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment