Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Crow Woes

After the speed of the first three books, I'm kind of shocked at how bogged down I am in book four of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series.  This is certainly shocking considering how much I loved A Storm of Swords (which truthfully should have been called A Mayhem of Marriages). 

I'm serious about that too. The book had four weddings, two of which ended in the assassination of a king, all of which were arranged and disturbing, two off stage marriages (one for love, one for political gain), one kind of technical common law marriage. Hmm, possibly two on that count. Maybe three. It's hard to tell with wildlings.   Beyond that, we had one very strange but deeply compelling love story.

Anyway, now I'm stuck in a book that has Brawn Hilda tromping around through the countryside being clueless and awkward and the Wicked Queen trying to get someone to eat on her apples.  Brienne and Cerise are so on my nerves.  Neither should have been a POV character.  Some people just shouldn't be.

But it's not just the ladies who are suffering from POVisms in this book. There is Mr. Samwell Tarly. "I'm scared of water. I'm scare of travel. I'm seasick. I'm scared of Gilly. I love Gilly. I'm scared of tears. I'm scared of my father. I'm hungry. I'm sick. I'm puking."

Grrrrr!

At least Arya, Sansa, and Jaime are interesting, though woefully not in the book often enough. I have to admit I'm enjoying the Ironborn part. I'm a little bit meh about Dorne. As much as I loved the Red Viper, the Dorne plot is just kind of annoying me.

Anyway, so yeah, a whole post about book complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment